Thursday, January 5, 2012

Asa Breed by Matthew Dear (2007)



For Fans Of: Dntel, Audion, Isolee
Genres: Electronica, Minimal Techno, Dream Pop

I remember catching this guy at a show in Ann Arbor about a year or so ago. Turns out he's actually based in Detroit. I had never even heard of him or his music before then, and was immediately impressed by the dreamy pop/electronic sounds I was hearing. Fast forward a few months - I picked up his "Deserter" ten inch randomly at a record store after hearing Poo's copy and liking it, and it ended up becoming one of my favorite records in my whole collection. Here's a preview of my favorite song from that album, a remix of the title track. My sister's review of that song: "It sounds like something I would have made when I was five years old and had one of those play pianos for little kids." ...I completely disagree. But you can listen and decide for yourself.

Ghostly International is releasing his newest album, Headcage EP, on January 17th. I'm not sure how I feel about the title track just released from it, but I'm hoping the rest are better. Nonetheless he's worth checking out. Headcage hasn't leaked yet; rest assured that it will be up as soon as I can get my hands on it. But for now you can find a link to Asa Breed, which features the original "Deserter" track, right below. Also he's pretty much a babe.


No comments:

Post a Comment