Monday, April 2, 2012

Ominous Silence by Tharsis They (2012)

Stop!....Hammer Time!


Kind of Like: Converge, Trap Them, Botch
Genres: Chaotic Hardcore, Hardcore, Thrash, Mathcore
Preview:


I got the chance to see these guys open up for The Armed and Capture the Flag in Detroit on Saturday.  It was a free house show at the Bear Cave.  It was my first time at this place, but I was surprised with how nice the neighborhood was.  I know, not all of Detroit is bad, but it was one of the few neighborhoods that not only held onto it's dignity but was a lot nicer than even neighborhoods in the burbs.

These guys put on a killer set.  My only gripe was that they were the opening band and they didn't show up until a couple hours after the show was supposed to start.  I know, I don't know what they had going on, there may have been an emergency or something.  However, when the band after you and the headliner are at the venue an hour before it is even supposed to start and you don't show up for a couple hours after that, it just doesn't look good.  Better late than never though, because they got the show started off really well.  Lots of energy to get people into it.

The Armed were up next, and if they didn't have bad luck they would have no luck at all.  They started off a great set and then right in the middle, the power went out.  I don't know if neighbors called to get the power shut off or what, but these guys kept it classy; they kept going on to finish the song with no power.  I would love to embed the following video, but it is uploaded to facebook, and there isn't an easy way to  put that here.  The power outage got captured on video, and 21 seconds into it, you get to see Randall break his hand.

Now that thing he hit didn't have a dent in it.  Randall is a big dude, so that thing had to be made of something hard.  The lights came back on, and his hand was clearly broken.  There was something protruding from it, and the nurse switch in me turned on.  I took a look at it, and first I thought a bone was sticking out, but it was just a flap of skin sticking out.  The bone may have very well came out when he hit it and gone back in.  He got bandaged up, and they decided to finish their set like bosses.

The bad luck continued though.  In the middle of their last song, a full beer fell onto Chris's pedalboard.  I cringed as I watched them lift up to drain the beer and foam out of it.  Needless to say, that guitar stopped working.  Luckily, it was the last song, and they all just broke their shit.  Kenny ripped his bass strings off with his bare hands.  Fuckin' christ.  I hope they can get more equipment before their show with Converge/Loma Prieta/Git Some in five days.

So yeah, check out this album by Tharsis They, and check out some of our previous posts on the Armed.



No comments:

Post a Comment