Monday, April 9, 2012

Beware and Be Grateful by Maps & Atlases (2012)


Kind of Like: Radiohead, Minus the Bear, Look Mexico
Genres: Indie, Folk, Electronica, Math Rock
Buy: Insound
Spotify: Clitty clitty, bang bang
Preview: Paste Magazine

Warning.  Fans of old Maps & Atlases that don't like the direction they are going, you might as well stop reading now.  They haven't regressed back to their original EP.  If you are looking for that kind of music, check this out.

Oh, you're still here?  Well, that means you are open to where they were heading slowly but surely, or actually already are very into electronic/indie music.

I have to admit, when I first saw the teaser for this album and heard the music at the end of it, I was very skeptical.  I felt like they had gone too far.  The dancy, synthetic drum beats, the emphasis on airy, vocal layering.  Had they done too far for me?  I like to say that I liked Perch Patchwork, not nearly as much as I liked older material, but I still enjoyed it at certain points.

I am a sucker for dancy, indie music.  If it comes on and it is catchy and makes me want to jig about (get jiggy wit it, rather), then I go for it.  That's better than standing in a corner and judging it, right?  This album is catchy.  I like to throw around the word: "safe" a bit, and it could be argued that this album is "safe".  But for them it isn't "safe", it is actually something foreign and new to them.  Here is their own David Dave Davison with more (sorry if it is Erin, or Shiraz or someone else, Paste Magazine didn't specify really, tsk tsk [I just wanted to say Dave a bunch]).

"To us, the changes feel somewhat gradual. I guess there wasn’t a specific inspiration to change, but that the album itself took on a life of its own. One thing that we tried to do was challenge ourselves in new ways with every track, which is something that started with Perch Patchwork. With this album, it was much more deliberate, as a desire to make sure we were moving into new territories. Each track, I think, has something that is deliberately challenging on an artistic, personal level, so that’s one thing that made it different."


If you come here a bit, you may have noticed the longer my posts are, the more I am arguing with myself on if I genuinely like an album or not as I keep listening to it.  If you weren't aware then I just outted myself.  Well, let's just get to the part you want, your precious link.  If you like where Maps was heading, enjoy the new textures, soundscapes, and journey in general.  If you didn't get past the first couple sentences, why are you still here?

Listen Here:
LOOK, CUTE TOTES TO TOTS TOTE YER TOTES IN

No comments:

Post a Comment