Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gloss Drop by Battles (2011)


Kind of Like: Adebisi Shank, Volta Do Mar, Don Caballero
Genres: Math rock, Electronica, Experimental
Preview: 
Note: Guest vocals: MATIAS AGUAYO, they are actually more of an instrumental band.

My first impression of Battles was their video for their hit Atlases a few years ago.  I thought it was catchy, but it was far to redundant for proclaimed math rock band.  A lot of the songs on here have a true math rock sensibility, but I think instead of alternating between different tempos and time changes, this band seems to become obsessed with a unique beat and rhythm for long durations- sometimes for an entire song.  This is can become tedious, especially when songs average over four minutes in length.  That being said their track opener "Africastle" is actually a pretty varied and fun song, there is even a couple cool low brass samples thrown in near the end.  I think I have a greater appreciation for this band than my first impression, but I don't know how long this will be in my rotation.

Listen Here

No comments:

Post a Comment