Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pizza & Regret by Ted Nguyent (2011)




Kind of Like: Joyce Manor, Dads, So Many Dynamos
Genres: Punk, Post-Hardcore, Math Rock, Experimental
Preview: Bandcamp

“Ted Nguyent is an American rock band originally comprised of founding members Michael McGilloway, Travis Arterburn, and James Dobrowolski. They later added Kian Sorouri on the bass after deciding that James wasn’t a competent enough instrumentalist (though they can all agree that the bass is not what one might call a ‘difficult’ instrument). James now acts merely as eye candy. Their music has been described as ‘an amorphous blend of post-hardcore song structure and punk rock ethos, with a lyrical style reminiscent of the great pop music jokester Weird Al.’”
-Last.fm

It’s been awhile since I stumbled upon a band that’s like this.  They seem like a really fun band and really fun dudes.  If I learned anything from starting to interview/try to interview bands is that many of the people I consider to be idols are straight-up stuck-up assholes in real life.  I wouldn’t imagine these guys to be that way.  So they better not fuck that up if I actually get to meet them.

I also love the band name.  I see the name “Nguyen” at work all the time, and it usually ends up being someone that doesn’t tip me.  Also, Ted Nugent is insane and a Michiganian like myself.  The album art is trippy and cool looking.  Finally, the background of their bandcamp makes me start laughing for some reason.  These guys are what Charlie Sheen would call “winning”.  Fun fact:  By some estimates, approximately 40 percent of Vietnamese have the surname, Nguyen.

Listen Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment