Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vacation by Bomb the Music Industry! (2011)


Kind of Like: Arrogant Sons of Bitches, The Wild, O Pioneers!!!, The Fad
Genres: Punk, Ska, Experimental, Hardcore, Electronica
Preview: Herpderp

BTMI! spawned from ASOB.  They had an idea: why not put out records ourselves, and not charge people any money for them?  I'm sure bands had done this before, but this was the first I heard of a band doing it with such success.  They even have a place at the merch table to make your own shirt.  You bring a shirt and they give you stencils and paint to make your own BTMI! shirt.  This DIY/punk ethic was something they were all about from the get go.  And it's working for them; they even are signed to a label (but still put out their albums for free).

Back when I was in a shitty ska/punk band, I had the honor of opening for this band at the Neutral Zone in Ann Arbor when they were first starting to tour.  I had a great time, and I really liked what they were doing.  Now, many other bands are catching on and doing the same thing.  If you don't really like ska or punk, you can take comfort in knowing that I think this is their most accessible album yet.  I haven't heard a ton of it as of right now (I'm at work), but I definitely think people that don't listen to those genres can appreciate the music here.

Listen Here or Here

No comments:

Post a Comment