Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Big Roar by The Joy Formidable (2011)


Kind Of Like: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Rainer Maria, The Pixies, The Arcade Fire
Genres: Indie, Ambient, Post-Punk

To be up front, I never had a big thing for female vocals.  I don't know why, probably for the same reason I don't like female comedians (comediennes, whatever the fuck).  Just kidding, that's kinda chauvinistic.  Honestly, it's hard to find good female vocalist/comediannezzase.  Anywho, as you would guess, this band has a female vocalist, and she won me over.  People are calling this album "shit-gaze".  Apparently shit-gaze is a mix of grunge and shoegaze.  Pretty fucked up, huh?  I didn't think shoegaze could even be expanded.  Either way, I had a hard time pinpointing who this band sounded like, so I asked Lori what they sounded like as I played them on my laptop, and that's who she came up with.  I encourage you to critique her severely.  I like this band though.

No comments:

Post a Comment