Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Goodtime Boys/Solutions Split 7" (2010)


Kind of Like: Veils, The Long Haul, Pariso //// Hot Water Music, Calvin Ball, Junior Battles
Genres: Post-hardcore, Screamo, Punk //// Punk, Pop Punk, Post-hardcore
Spotify: Hell naw
Preview:



Recently, I was listening to Goodtime Boys' Are We Now, Or Have We Ever Been, and I realized how much I really enjoy this UK band for different reasons than I like other UK bands like Veils or Kerouac.  While they certainly fit in line with those bands, I feel like GTB have something distinct about them that I can't put my finger on.  Maybe it's more of a thrash/punk feel and more use of higher melodic chords compared to the low and churning mathy sounds. Then again those other UK bands use those too, and Goodtime does the churning mathiness.  Hell, I don't know, maybe it's just their vocalist, Alex Pennie.  He does have a pretty lengthy and eclectic resume, and he has a ton of raw emotion in GTB.  Yeah, that could be it.

Anyways, I was listening to their latest EP, and I was like shit, I need to figure out what these guys are up to or have done in the past.  I wasn't able to find any news about a new release from last years EP, but I did find out they started out with a split from another UK band, Solutions, a year before.  I really like splits like this, the bands complement eachother, but don't fall into all of the same categories; just the broad spectrum of "punk".  Or whatever the fuck you want to call it.  

Goodtime Boys delivers 4 songs (well, 3 if you combine the intro with the first song) that are just as powerful as the ones in Are We Now, and I have a feeling I am going to be having both on shuffle now that I have everything they have recorded thus far.  The other band on this split, Solutions, is more of a Hot Water Music mixed with Latterman pop punk band.  They also really reminded me of another band we saw at Fest from the UK, Calvinball.

Overall, really solid split, and I really hope GTB is going to be working on new material soon.  Another EP would be nice, I am starting to appreciate hardcore EPs more than LPs.  Just seem stronger to me.  All killer, no filler.  Sum 41.

Speaking of the UK, I am really digging "Life's Too Short".  It's on HBO in the U.S.  I wish there was a clip of the scene in which the phrase "He just threw up on his penis" was used, but it isn't out there.  However, this clip is just as hilariously awkward.



Listen Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment