Friday, October 21, 2011

(Classic and New) Enter (2006) and Empros (2011) Russian Circles


Kind of Like: Red Sparowes, Pelican, Isis
Genres: Post-rock, Math Rock, Metal
Preview: Spin


Enter is the classic.  When I first heard it, it blew my mind and it made me so excited for this band and what would come next.  When I heard Station was being released, I was looking forward to their next step.  But, when I finally got my hands on their sophomore effort, I was left disappointed.  There were a couple good songs, but overall it was not nearly as memorable and intricate as Enter was.  Looking back, I think this was directly attributed with the lineup change that happened during the time frame Station was released.  Brian Cook (Botch, These Arms Are Snakes) was inducted into the band after their bass player left.  The band started writing material for Station shortly after, and I really don't think the chemistry of the trio had been solidified.  That's my theory anyways.  Geneva came a couple years after and I found that to be an improvement from Station.  Now we have their latest release, Empros.  I am only a couple songs deep, but so far I like it about as much as Geneva.  I have a hard time thinking there will ever be material that compares to Enter, but at least they are taking steps forward from Station.  So, I decided to not just include Empros,  but also Enter.  It's their newest release and their greatest release, respectively.  But I will keep listening to this album in it's entirety, as hopefully you will too.  Their albums are best listened to as a whole.  Thanks to Music as Heroin for the Empros link.

Buy Here

Listen Here:
Enter (2006)
Empros (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment