Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Everything by An Autumn For Crippled Children



Kind of like: a groovier Liturgy
Genres: Black Metal, Shoegaze, Post-rock, "Depressive Experimental Doom"
Preview:

I really like the idea of "Post-Black Metal". I am not super into really crusty black metal and, honestly, a lot of traditional BM annoys the shit out of me. with that said, Liturgy opened up my mind to the progressive side of this new genre. Netherland's An Autumn For Crippled Children bring more of the shoegaze (blackgaze) element to the table than bands like Liturgy and Wolves in the Throne Room, and this creates a very interesting atmosphere that is actually catchy and groovy. They do retain elements of traditional black metal and have some incredibly epic crescendos that climax in a hail of buried screeches, thundering double bass, and soaring guitars, but it is the softer dynamics that really appeal to me on this album. And I can't quite figure out why, but this reminds me of The Smashing Pumpkins in a very obscure way. Enjoy this western European gem.

Listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment